This lemon pound cake is sweetened with a fabulous lemon syrup glaze. The sweet lemon glaze gives this pound cake fresh lemon flavor.
The cake can be baked in a Bundt cake pan or in two loaf pans. I like to bake it in loaf pans so I can freeze the second loaf for later. Or freeze individual slices and always have a treat for family and friends. Thaw a loaf at room temperature or defrost individual slices in the microwave for just a few seconds.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups sugar (granulated)
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (13 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 300 F (150 C/Gas 2).
- Generously grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt cake pan or two 8 1/2- by- 4 1/2- by- 2 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Beat butter in a large mixing bowl at medium speed of an electric mixer; gradually add oil, beating until well blended.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in the lemon extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan(s). Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan(s) on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lemon glaze. Heat the 1/2 cup of sugar, water, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, and 1/4 cup of lemon juice over low heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Remove the cake from pan(s) and place directly on a wire rack. Put a large sheet of foil or wax paper under the rack to catch the glaze.
- While the cake is still warm, brush lemon glaze on sides of cake and spoon glaze over top, a little at a time, giving the cake time to absorb the glaze. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.
Wrap any extra cake in heavy-duty foil and freeze it for up to 6 months. Thaw at room temperature.
You Might Also Like