This fresh lemon sauce couldn't be easier, and what better way to add flavor to a stack of pancakes, sliced pound cake, or ice cream.
Lemon zest adds to the tart lemon flavor of the sauce, while butter adds depth of flavor.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (slightly rounded)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water (boiling)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon cold butter (cut into small pieces)
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add the boiling water and whisk to blend.
- Place the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and clear. Stir the lemon zest and lemon juice into the sauce.
- Whisk the butter into the sauce, a little at a time.
- Serve the sauce warm over dessert, pound cake, pancakes, or bread pudding.