Forget the refried beans and try this tasty vegan lentil pâté recipe, an appetizer spread made with lentils, garlic, and onions.
Serve it at your next party with toasted bread rounds or crackers.
- 1 cup lentils (pre-cooked in 2 cups of water or 1 1/2 cups canned cooked lentils, drained)
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced finely)
- 6 teaspoons margarine (or other butter alternative)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: water if necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- In a large saucepan, gently sauté sweet onion and garlic in the margarine over low heat until soft, but not browned.
- Season with black pepper. Add lentils and heat until warmed through.
- Scrape lentil mixture into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade. Process until smooth, adding water if necessary. Add vinegar and pulse until combined.
- Serve lentil pâté at room temperature with toasted bread rounds or savory crackers for a delicious vegetarian appetizer that will appeal to all.
What Is a Pâté?
When the French word pâté has an accent over the "e" it means "paste." When there is no accent over the "e" it means pie. That's a big difference.
When spelled with the accent, pâté refers to well-seasoned ground meats that can be satiny smooth and spreadable or formed into a loaf shape like a French country pâté.
It can be made with pork, veal, ham, liver, fish, poultry, game and vegetables. Sometimes they are cooked in a crust and at other times they are baked in terrines which have been lined with strips of fat or bacon.
Pâtés can be hot or cold and are usually served as a first course (especially in the case of a warm pâté) or as an appetizer passed on trays with other canapés or on an hors d'oeuvres spread.
More Vegetarian / Vegan Pâté Recipes
- Egg, Nut, and Mushroom Pâté Recipe: This vegetable version is whipped up fast and easy in a food processor. It's great for lacto-ovo vegetarians but it should please everyone.
- Raw Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms with Herbed Pâté Recipe: Stuff large cremini or button mushrooms with a raw vegan stuffing of walnuts, broccoli, pine nuts, red onion and celery.
- Raw Vegan Sundried Tomato Olive Pâté Recipe: This can be spread on flax crackers, raw pizza crusts, raw breads, or used as a dip for fresh veggies. Sunflowers are used here but other soaked nuts or seeds can be substituted instead.