Vegetarian lentil soup is low in fat, but high in fiber, protein and flavor, and, cooking with lentils is a great way to stretch your food budget since they are so filling and so cheap (and lentils are great to shop for in bulk, too). All of this combines to make this homemade lentil soup recipe one of the most perfect meals to make at home if your family is on a budget, whether you're vegetarian, vegan or not.
This simple vegetarian and vegan lentil soup recipe calls for lots of healthy vegetables, including potatoes, carrots, celery and spinach, so it really is a balanced vegetarian meal in itself. Add a quick side green salad and maybe some homemade dinner rolls, and you've got yourself a complete meal.
This recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free (though you'll need to be sure to use a gluten-free vegetable broth, so check the label or make your own so you know what's in it, or make your own homemade vegetable broth).
If you like experimenting with different kinds of healthy homemade vegetable soups, try these easy homemade vegetable soup recipes, or, if you really enjoy cooking with lentils, try some more creative vegetarian lentil recipes such as these coconut curried lentils, or this super popular four star vegan lentil load recipe.
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped small
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves (optional, but recommended)
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 3/4 cups green lentils
- 2 potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste (use sea salt or kosher salt for the best flavor)
- First, in a large soup or stock pot, cook the celery, carrots, onion and garlic in the vegetable oil or olive oil until soft, about 10-12 minutes, over medium heat
- Next, add the water or vegetable broth, bay leaves and lentils. Simmer over medium heat, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 10 more minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly tender, then add the spinach and cook for another minute or two, just until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove your soup from heat and add salt and red wine vinegar, stirring to combine. Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste. A bit more salt or some fresh ground pepper might be welcome, depending on your taste.
- Be sure to fish out the bay leaves and remove them before serving.
Enjoy your homemade lentil, vegetable and spinach soup!
Like cooking with lentils?
Lentils are cheap, nutritious, and perfect for vegetarians and vegans. Plus, they're great for the environment because you can buy them in bulk without any packaging needed.