A touch of cinnamon and nutmeg add flavor to this easy quick bread. The bread is perfect breakfast or snack bread, and it can even be served as a dessert instead of cake. Slice it and serve it with a scoop of ice cream or drizzle some sweet lemon sauce over it.
The bread is made with a relatively small amount of fat, making it lighter than many other quick breads. Buttermilk, brown sugar, and chopped pecans add flavor and texture to the moist bread.
Feel free to change it up slightly by using walnuts instead of pecans. Or add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of semisweet chocolate chips, chopped dates, or raisins. Jazz it up with a crunchy topping. Toss a few teaspoons of cinnamon sugar with an extra 1/4 cup of chopped pecans and sprinkle them over the loaf just before it goes into the oven. A streusel crumb topping is another great way to add texture and flavor to an everyday quick bread.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (10 1/4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar (light or dark, packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Grease and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; mix with a spoon or whisk to blend thoroughly. Stir the brown sugar into the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg lightly. Whisk in the buttermilk and melted butter until well blended. Stir the egg and buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until well blended.
- Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the quick bread in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan on a rack for about 10 minutes. Turn it out and place it on the rack to cool completely before slicing.
- This quick bread recipe can easily be converted to make muffins. Just heat the oven to 400 F and grease 12 muffin cups. Make the batter, fold into the pan, and fill the prepared muffin cups about two-thirds full. Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- When making quick breads and muffins, always preheat the oven completely and have pans ready before you add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. The baking soda and baking powder begin to rise as soon as the batter is combined, so get it into the pan and the oven as quickly as possible.