Are you looking for the perfect drink for your next barbecue or garden party? Look no further than the Lime Rickey.
This easy drink is a refreshingly tart combination of fresh lime juice, simple syrup, and seltzer. It's easy to make and is a great "virgin" drink for teetotalers.
The best Lime Rickey will come from fresh-squeezed lime juice and it is the perfect use for your citrus juicer. The other key is to make your own simple syrup and if you have sugar and water, then you're just ten minutes away from this (literally) simple ingredient.
While this recipe will make about four 6-ounce drinks, it is very easy to double or triple to create more. You can even downsize it and make a single glass for yourself on a hot summer afternoon.
- 8 ounces fresh lime juice (about 6 to 7 limes)
- 4 ounces simple syrup
- 12 ounces seltzer water
- Lime wedges for garnish
- In a pitcher or a measuring cup with a spout, mix the lime juice and simple syrup.
- Fill four glasses with ice.
- Divide the sweetened lime juice mixture between the glasses (about 3 ounces each).
- Fill the rest of the glass with seltzer (about 3 ounces).
- Stir with a swizzle stick or a long spoon and garnish with a lime wedge.
More Tips for Making a Great Lime Rickey
Use the freshest soda. You have the fresh lime juice and homemade syrup, are you really going to top it off with that bottle of seltzer that was opened three days ago?
Hopefully, the answer is no.
- Crack a fresh bottle of seltzer to ensure your drink has maximum carbonation.
- Switch to another clear soda if you like. Ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, and tonic water each add a different flair to the Lime Rickey.
- If you regularly make single drinks, buy small bottles of soda so you avoid flat or wasted soda.
Stock up on lime syrup or make a lime cordial. If you find that you really enjoy the Lime Rickey, plan ahead so you can mix up a drink anytime you like. This is as simple as having a lime syrup or lime cordial ready to go in the refrigerator. When it's time to make the drink, all you need to do is pour the sweetened lime mix then top it off with seltzer.
Your drink will be just as refreshing, this trick will simply save you time because you don't have to squeeze lime juice everytime you want the drink. Don't worry, both the lime cordial and syrup are easy to make and you can go on a juicing frenzy to make as much as you like in a single batch.
If You Like the Lime Rickey, Try These Drinks
The refreshing taste of lime juice can be used to create a great variety of drinks. Should you find yourself desiring to explore its potential a bit more, begin with these recipes.
- Limeade - Similar to fresh lemonade, you can use lime juice or a mix of the two citrus juices to create a refreshing summertime drink. If you like, add soda to bring in some sparkle.
- Green Lemonade - Fresh kiwi and a mix of lemonade and limeaid mix up for a delicious non-alcoholic beverage that can also be finished off with your favorite soda.
- Gin Rickey - Maybe you're in the mood for a refreshing adults-only beverage. In that case, the popular and time-tested Gin Rickey is a perfect choice.