The tart granny smith apples in this low calorie baked apple crisp are complimented nicely with the sweet crumb topping and creamy frozen vanilla yogurt. The tart, crisp granny smith apples are used in this recipe because they hold up well during cooking, and their tart flavor makes for a nice compliment to the otherwise super sweet dessert.
If you don't have granny smith apples available, a couple of other alternatives that could hold up well in this recipe include honey crisp, the sweet and tart pink lady apple, or a jonagold apple. You could try out a few different types of apples to see what works best for you.
Whatever apple you choose, this apple crisp truly makes a superb fall treat when apples are at their peak and are their freshest. Be sure to serve the apple crisp right away after removing it from the oven, topped with just a bit of cool and creamy vanilla frozen yogurt for just the right amount of contrast.
- 4 cups peeled, cored, sliced granny smith apples (3-4 medium apples)
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the apples evenly in the bottom of a 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Be sure that the apples are peeled and that they are sliced into even slices about a 1/8-1/4 of an inch thick. This will help to make sure that all the apples cook uniformly.
3. To complete the topping for the crisp, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, the granulated sugar through the salt, and stir the ingredients until the mixture resembles of course meal. Once the topping is ready, use a spoon to evenly sprinkle the mixture over the top of the apples. Top the apples evenly with the oat mixture.
4. Next, place the apple crisp in the preheated oven, and bake the crisp at 350°F for 30 minutes, until the crisp becomes lightly browned and the apples become tender. Remove the crisp from the oven, and allow it to cool for about five minutes until it is easy to dish out of the baking dish.
5. Top each apple crisp serving with about 2 tablespoons of frozen vanilla yogurt, and then serve the apple crisp immediately.
Per Serving (1/2 cup apples with 2 Tablespoons of frozen yogurt) Calories 190