A low calorie spinach parmesan quiche is just what you might be looking for if you are looking for a fancy but easy dish for a luncheon, or even for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Traditionally, quiche is made with a calorie laden crust of white flour and fat, topped with eggs and cheese, and the whole thing becomes rather indulgent and calorie and fat laden.
This lower calorie version eliminates a lot of the fat and calories from the dish with some substitutions. Instead of a calorie laden crust, save yourself time and calories by using a premade flour tortilla for the base of the quiche. Then fill it up with an egg and cheese mixture that uses a combination of eggs and egg whites along with spinach and part skim mozzarella for a much leaner version of quiche. The added parmesan cheese is just enough to really boost the flavor without boosting the calorie content by too much.
- 1 large, burrito-sized tortilla
- 1/4 cup onion, minced fine
- 2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (2 oz.)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Place the tortilla in the pie plate, pressing the edges of the tortilla around the sides of the pie plate. The tortilla isn't likely to form exactly to the shape of the pie plate. To help the tortilla become a little more pliable, place it between two paper towels that have been dampened by just a bit of water. Then place the tortilla in the microwave and heat for about 15 seconds.
The tortilla should then be rather elastic and flexible.
2. Heat a medium-sized, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray, and cook the onions for 3-4 minutes, until they are tender and translucent. Add the spinach to the pan, and cook just until the spinach wilts while you continue to stir the mixture slowly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, cheese, milk, salt, and pepper using a wire whisk until the mixture is well combined and is fluffy. Add the spinach mixture to the egg mixture and continue to whisk it together.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the tortilla shell.
5. Bake the quiche for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top is golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and allow it to cool for 3-4 minutes before slicing and serving.
Per Serving Calories 177