At almost every party you're sure to find a spinach dip--either cold, inside a hollowed out bread or hot and gooey in a bowl alongside some pita chips. But no matter how it is presented, it is usually full of fat.
It doesn't have to be, though, so don't eliminate it from your party menu just yet. In this cold spinach dip recipe, by replacing the mayonnaise and cheeses with fat-free versions of yogurt and cream cheese, you will have a delicious dip without all of the fat. And no one will be the wiser.
You can use frozen chopped spinach if you prefer--before adding to the recipe place in a colander and pour boiling water over spinach until softened. Remove the excess water by pushing against the spinach with the back of a wooden spoon, or wrapping in a towel and squeezing until dry. For an added boost of protein and less sugar and carbohydrates, substitute plain fat-free Greek yogurt for the regular yogurt. Just be sure to choose fat-free since Greek yogurt has a higher fat content than regular yogurt.
Serve this low-fat spinach dip with a platter of fresh vegetables or with some baked potato chips or breadsticks. Feel free to spice it up a little by adding a dash of hot sauce.
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach (steamed until wilted)
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt, drained of excess water
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened, fat-free)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place wilted spinach in a colander and remove excess water by either pressing a wooden spoon against the spinach or placing spinach in a towel and squeezing until dry. Chop finely and place in a medium bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, add yogurt and cream cheese and stir, mixing together until smooth. Add this mixture to the spinach. Stir in the remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes about 2 cups
Per serving (1/4 cup): Calories 55, Calories from Fat 11, Total Fat 1.3g (sat 0.7g), Cholesterol 3mg, Sodium 186mg, Carbohydrate 4.7g, Fiber 1.1g, Protein 6.2g