The Luther Burger, also known as a donut bacon cheeseburger, is no joke. It may sound strange and totally unhealthy - and yea you're right, it totally is - but this unexpected flavor combo is perfect for special occasion splurges and cheat day eats.
- Begin by frying the bacon in a cast iron skillet. Turn the heat to medium and cook bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and place on paper towel, placing the rendered bacon grease in a small container.
- Next slice your donut in half - being careful not to crush or remove any of the exterior glaze. Add the sliced donut, interior side down, and a little drizzle of the reserved bacon grease and toast until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside
- Meanwhile, start shaping your patty into a ball and sprinkling the outside with salt and pepper.
- Heat the cast iron skillet with the rendered bacon fat to medium high and add the seasoned ball of beef. Let the beef ball cook for 3 to 5 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- Flip the ball and smash slowly so the burger stays together. Let the burger cook for a few more minutes until desired doneness is reached; 5 to 10 minutes.
- Flip the burger one more time, add the cheese and then remove from heat and cover for two minutes until the cheese has melted
- Add the bacon to the top of the cheese cheeseburger patty then place it into the toasted donut. Serve immediately.