The classic dish of Lyonnaise potatoes is named after the city of Lyon, in France. This French dish requires lightly boiling sliced potatoes before sauteing in butter with lightly caramelized onions. The potatoes are finished with fresh chopped parsley. Alternatively, the potatoes can be baked in the oven.
Slice the potatoes into rounds nearly 1/2-inch in thickness so they will not fall apart easily as you saute and turn them. For cooking, a nonstick or seasoned cast iron skillet are good choices.
- 1 large sweet onion
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (or similar baking potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: fresh minced parsley
- Peel the onion; cut it in half lengthwise and then cut it into thin slices.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. When the foaming subsides, add the onion slices. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until the onion has softened and browned, stirring frequently. Remove the onion to a plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and slice them into rounds between 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch in thickness (about 3/8-inch).
- Put the potato slices in a deep, heavy saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to medium-low and continue boiling for about 2 minutes.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet the onions were cooked in and place over medium to medium-high heat. Add the potatoes to the hot fat and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the slices are browned, stirring and turning frequently. T Try to keep the potato slices intact while turning and stirring.
- Add the onions back to the pan and heat through. Turn the potatoes out onto a warm serving platter.
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Follow steps 1 through 4, above, using a large oven-safe skillet.
- Layer the cooked and drained potato slices and browned onions in the skillet, sprinkling the layers lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown.
- Transfer the potatoes (all in one piece, if possible) from the skillet to a warm serving platter. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt, pepper, and fresh chopped parsley.
Add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic to the skillet with the onions about 1 minute before they are finished cooking; remove to a plate with the onions and continue following the recipe above for stovetop or oven method.