- Heat the oil in a deep heavy saucepan to about 360 F, or until a cube of bread browns in about 30 seconds.
- Shape macaroni and cheese into small balls.
- Dip balls in bread crumbs, then into the beaten eggs, then in crumbs again.
- Drop carefully into hot fat and cook, turning, until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm while making subsequent batches.
Variations and Tips
- Add some crumbled bacon, jalapeno peppers, diced pimientos, or cooked vegetables to the mac and cheese mixture before breading.
- Put a small chunk of ham or cheese in the center of each croquette before breading.
- Add a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs.
You Might Also Like