While it’s not necessary to soak the strawberries in the sugar before blending, the sugar really pulls out the berries’ natural juice and intensifies the sweetness in a way that gives your milkshake amazing flavor. You could also use strawberry ice cream instead of vanilla for even more strawberry punch.
Also click here for an Oreo milkshake recipe!
- ½ pound fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup milk
- Small whole strawberries for garnish (optional)
- Cut the tops off the strawberries, and slice them into a few pieces. In a medium bowl combine the sliced strawberries, sugar and vanilla extract and stir to combine well. Set aside and allow to sit, if you have time, for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Place the strawberries with any juices, ice cream, and milk into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into large glasses, and if desired put a strawberry on the rim of each glass. Serve immediately.
What else can you add?
A banana, for a Strawberry Banana Milkshake
Other berries in addition to -- or with -- the strawberries for a mixed berry shake. Try blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
A scoop of malt powder for a Malted Strawberry Shake
Some chocolate syrup for a Strawberry Chocolate Milkshake
Whipped cream on top, and maybe some chocolate shavings or sprinkles
Also, you can use frozen strawberries, either ones that you buy already frozen in the freezer aisle or you can freeze fresh strawberries and use those, if you want a very thick shake. You may need to add a bit more milk if the shake is too thick. Feel free to use any kind of milk you'd like, from 1% to whole, although whole would make a richer milkshake. You could also substitute dairy items with non-dairy milks and ice cream.
Feeling creative with strawberries or berries in general? Try these fruity dessert recipes:
Simple Raspberry Fool
Watermelon Strawberry Smoothie
One Pot Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
Mixed Berry Clafoutis
Ricotta Berry Breakfast Crostini
Raspberry Streusel Coffee Cake with Sweet Vanilla Drizzle
Raspberries with Olive Oil Blueberry Sauce
Peach Blueberry Crisp
Try these other dessert recipes as well. Some of these also make great gifts for family or friends:
Sweet Potato Pie with Whipped Cream
Sour Cream Biscuit Peach Cobbler
Crystallized Ginger Shortbread
Mini Banana Bread Loaves
Pumpkin Gingerbread with Crystallized Ginger
Moist Pumpkin Bread
Saffron Coconut Macaroons
The Best Streusel Apple Pie Ever
Chewy Sugar Cookies
Ebinger’s Blackout Cake
One-Pot Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies
Molten Chocolate Peanut Butter Cakes
Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares