Coconut Rice makes a deliciously easy side dish that can be served with a variety of Thai and Indian dishes such as curries, stir-fried vegetables, fish, and seafood mains. This easy coconut rice recipe is made in a rice cooker. All you need is rice, coconut milk, salt, and dry shredded coconut, and you'll be serving up some delicious coconut rice in just 20 minutes.
For delicious coconut rice that you can make in a pot on your stovetop try our stovetop Thai coconut rice recipe.
- 2 cups Thai jasmine-scented white rice (other types of rice will not work for this recipe)
- 1 cup good-quality coconut milk (not "lite")
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons dry shredded coconut, unsweetened or sweetened (baking type)
- Place rice in rice cooker. Add the water, coconut milk, salt, and shredded coconut. Stir well; use a plastic or wooden utensil to avoid scraping off the non-stick surface. Cover and set to cook.
- Once your rice cooker switches to "warm" mode, allow another 8-10 minutes for the rice to finish steaming. This will ensure your coconut rice is fully cooked and pleasantly sticky.
- Gently fluff with chopsticks before serving. Some of the shredded coconuts may have risen to the surface; just stir it back into the rice. Taste-test it for salt, adding a little more until the desired flavor is achieved.