Learn how to make miniature and dollhouse furniture with simple hand tools. The miniature furniture projects on this list are suitable for scale displays or child's play. Includes plans and clear photo instructions for doll beds, armoires, cupboards, bookshelves, tables, fireplaces, chairs and shelving which can be adjusted to any miniature scale.
01 of 10
Make Dolls House and Fairy Furniture From Garden Twigs
02 of 10
Make Dolls House Kitchen Furniture Projects Including Tables and Chairs
Outfit any style of miniature dolls' house kitchen with these simple tables, chairs, and other beginner's furniture projects. Furniture for dolls house kitchens can also be adapted from some of the projects in the dolls house bedroom. A night table made taller and fitted with a single metal door can become a pie safe. The night table can be widened and fitted with double doors to become a base cabinet for a kitchen, and the techniques used to make armoires can be used to make upper... kitchen cabinets for a fitted modern kitchen.
Step by step tutorials for dolls house kitchen furniture include:
- Make a Pot Shelf with Hanging Pegs
- Make a Simple Dolls House Table
- Make a Simple Wooden Kitchen Chair
- Make Simple Fruit Crates
- Make Fitted Miniature Kitchen Cabinets For Undercounter or wall cabinets, with drawers or opening doors.
The kitchen cabinet series includes:
03 of 10
Plans and Instructions to Make Dolls House Living Room Furniture Projects
Add fireplaces, bookshelves, tables and picture frames to your dolls' house living room. Make your own furniture projects for contemporary or period rooms. Once again you can adapt projects from other rooms to fit a dolls house living room. The simple table can be made into a sideboard or a narrow console table or coffee table, an armoire can be fitted with shelves for a television. Dolls house living room furniture projects include:
04 of 10
Instructions for Dolls House Bedroom Furniture Projects
These simple projects for a dolls' house bedroom can be adapted to make a wide range bed styles, as well as combination armoires and bookcase storage units by adapting the sizes and shapes. These can be made from basswood for painted projects, or you can make them from hardwood like walnut or mahogany.
Make a simple box or storage crate (or a window box)Continue to 5 of 10 below.
05 of 10
Dollhouse and Model Accessory Furniture
Simple woodworking techniques can be used to make a range of scale model accessories for dolls' houses, model railroads, and other scale displays. Here are some simple projects to add to a range of scenes:
06 of 10
Woodworking Tools For Making Miniature Furniture
You can make quality miniature furniture with simple hand tools. Here are some of the items you will find most useful:
- Use a Simple Miter Box for Straight or Angled Cuts
- Choose a Razor Saw for Straight Cuts
- Choose Hobby and Carving Knives - Learn How to Keep Them Sharp.
- Choose a Pin Vise or Mini Drill
- Choosing Files for Metal and Woodwork
- Choosing The Right Sanding Materials
- Magnetic Gluing Jig
- Choosing and Using a Square To Keep Measurements Accurate
07 of 10
You can make miniature and dollhouse furniture from a range of various woods, everything from craft and stir sticks to hardwood stripwood. Most of the miniature furniture plans on this list are built with basswood (Tilia americana) which is widely available in suitable sizes from craft and hobby shops in North America. European equivalents are Obeche (Triplochiton scleroxylon from Africa), Jelutong (Dyera costulata)from Malaysia, Borneo and Sumatra, and Lime or Linden Wood (European Tilia... species). For smaller scale furniture, hardwood veneer strips are often used.
08 of 10
Paint and Faux Finishes For Miniature and Dolls House Furniture
While you can easily paint raw wood furniture with regular acrylic paints, you can also use finishes, waxes, and polishes designed for regular wood furniture. Often an easy remake can save a utilitarian commercial piece. This step by step tutorial on remaking a miniature display cabinet shows you simple techniques and materials than can make a big difference to a badly designed or finished piece. If a traditional look is what you crave, try the following wood finishes:
- Faux Mahogany Finish For... Miniatures
- Classic Painted Furniture Finishes for Miniatures
- Faux Granite Paint Finish for Miniatures or Full Size Projects
- How to Age and Weather New Wood to Make it Look Old
Some great materials for finishing miniatures include:Continue to 9 of 10 below.
09 of 10
Internet Sources of Dollhouse Furniture Plans
Howard Fink has added a number of links to the Hi Sibley site referencing articles by Mr Sibley and other writers referring to dollhouse and dollhouse furniture plans from the pages of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines. The links take you to the appropriate pages on Google books.
10 of 10
Books on Making Miniature Furniture
There is a wide range of miniature furniture books. Some explain simple stick furniture, while others cover furniture made as exact copies of full-scale originals.
Good Furniture Books for Beginners Include:
- Thirties and Forties Miniatures in 1:12 Scale - Easy to build, simply styled furniture and accessories
- Simple Country Furniture Projects in 1:12 Scale - Simple and easy to build, more accessories than furniture, but a good range.
- Making Upholstered Furniture in 1:12 Scale - Classic styles of... basic upholstered furniture with good instructions for framing and upholstery.
- Making Miniature Furniture by John Davenport - Classic reference book on making quality miniature furniture, shows advanced techniques with clear instructions and projects.
- The Art of Making Furniture In Miniature by Harry W. Smith - Detailed guide to making museum quality miniature furniture for a range of periods.
Check your local library!