Imagine a medicine that can relax you into a blissfully peaceful sleep. Now imagine that the medicine doesn’t require a prescription, is completely natural and has no side effects. Then take it even further; this medicine smells wonderful, is a super-easy DIY project and has several uses around your home. Sounds great, but there’s no such thing, you say? Well, you’re partly right; there’s no “medicine” like that, but the description is real – it’s a description of an aromatherapy sleep spray.
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils, which are derived from plants, to create a desired frame of mind or physical effect. It’s been around for centuries, and it’s very effective at promoting relaxation, inducing sleep, reducing anxiety and dulling aches and pains. There are several ways to use aromatherapy oils, but one of the easiest and most versatile is to create a spray. Here’s how to mix and use your own aromatherapy sleep spray.
What you’ll need:
- A clean, small, dark glass mister bottle – 4 ounce is a good size
- 1 to 3 ounces vodka – vodka won’t affect the smell of your sleep spray, and the alcohol will help the spray dry quickly so as not to leave wet marks on your sheets. If you don’t want to use vodka, you can substitute witch hazel or rubbing alcohol, but be aware that these might alter the scent of your finished spray.
- Distilled water
- 10 drops of good-quality, pure lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of good-quality, pure Roman chamomile essential oil
- A total of 10 drops from one or two of the following essential oils, your choice: bergamot, jasmine, ylang ylang, geranium
- Small funnel
Mix it up:
- Use your funnel to pour vodka into your bottle. The amount of vodka depends on the bottle’s size:
- 1 ounce vodka in a 2 ounce bottle
- 2 ounces vodka in a 4 ounce bottle
- 3 ounces vodka in an 8 ounce bottle
- Add the drops of essential oils, one by one.
- Pour in just enough distilled water to almost reach the top of the bottle. Leave a little bit of room so you can shake the spray.
- Screw on the mister top, and shake up your spray. That’s it!
How to Use Your Spray
Now that you have your spray, use it whenever and wherever you or a family member need to relax or fall asleep.
- Gently spray your pillows and sheets before climbing into bed at night.
- Work the spray into your kids’ bedtime routines. A soft spray of “Monster Repellant” not only chases away the scary boogiemen under the bed, it also eases the way into the land of nod.
- Does Fido have a hard time relaxing when it’s time to take a trip in the car, or when fireworks or loud noises keep him awake? Lavender doesn’t only soothe the frazzled nerves of humans; it helps dogs as well. Not only that, the fragrance of lavender discourages fleas. Mist a few sprays of your sleep spray onto your dog’s bed or inside his crate before he settles down. Beware, however: lavender is toxic to cats, so keep your essential oil away from Fluffy’s favorite sleeping spot.
- Expecting elevated tempers during a discussion or family meeting? Help keep things under control with a spritz or two into the air above the spot where you’ll be sitting.
It’s not a prescription medication, and it’s not magic, but a blend of essential oils known for their relaxing effects is just the ticket for those nights when the pressure of the day doesn’t want to let go.