A Fun, Frugal Party Idea:
A fun party doesn't have to use up your monthly budget. You can have fun while entertaining friends, as long as you remember that the point of entertaining is to have fun and entertain your friends!
Everyone loves one kind of taco or another, the key to making it fun is to allow your guests to assemble their own tacos. Provide a few different filling options, several types of wrappers, and lay out all the possible toppings a taco lover could want. Then invite your guests to have fun making their own tacos.
Choose any one or all of these ideas, depending on what you have around your home, to give your table the ambience of a Mexican fiesta:
Did you pick up a blanket on a trip to Mexico? Use that as your table or floor covering.
Assorted linens in red, white and green will lend the colors of the Mexican flag to your table.
Another option is using bright pinks, blues, yellows, greens and crisp whites for a bit of a more natural fiesta feel. A taco party is the perfect time to incorporate your love of bold and bright colors into a table setting.
Tie white napkins with green and red raffia.
Wicker, rattan and woven objects everywhere! I have an infinite love for large, royal looking peacock chairs, rattan side table and ottomans. Help your guests find their inner taco party goddess with this fun outdoor decor.
Woven baskets are perfect to hold outdoor blankets for seating and to use as planters to give your outdoor oasis more of a tropical vibe.
Fill a bowl with colorful bell peppers for your centerpiece (use them in your cooking later in the week).
Did you pick up a Mexican sombrero with your blanket? Use that as your centerpiece instead. Place jalapeno peppers around the brim.
Tropical palm leaves and greenery can add to the fiesta feel of the day scattered throughout tables or laid across napkins as part of the table setting.
- Tortilla Chips - I suggest making fresh, hot homemade tortilla chips on request. They are easy to make and taste way better than a store bought bag.
- Chicken Tacos - Just make the filling in this recipe and allow guests to pick from the wrappers and toppings.
- Beef Tacos - A perennial favorite.
- Black Beans and Rice - A delicious, easy and satisfying side dish.
- Wrappers: Flour Tortillas; Corn Tortillas; Hard Shell Tacos
- 5-Minute Salsa - Tastes fresher than jarred salsa, but you can make it year round since it uses canned tomatoes.
- Basic Guacamole - Remember to use a ripe avocado.
- Toppings: Grated cheddar cheese; sour cream; minced cilantro; shredded iceberg lettuce; minced red onion
- Vanilla Ice Cream and Mexican Chocolate Sauce - Easy and delicious.
Total Estimated Cost for 8 People - $62.01:
When estimating the cost of this party, I assume you have a few basic ingredients already in your kitchen. Those basics include: salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder, cinnamon, garlic and onion powders, fresh garlic and onions, sugar, Kahlua (optional, don't purchase) and canola oil. The price of the remaining ingredients have been based upon the price in my local, conventional supermarket located in the northeast. Of course, prices will vary by region.
1 Large Bag Tortilla Chips - $2.99
Beef Tacos - $4.00 plus cost of a jar of cumin if you don't have on hand $3.89/jar
Chicken Tacos - $17.78
Black Beans and Rice - $3.39
- Flour Tortillas - $2.58/12
- Corn Tortillas - $0.79/12
- Hard Shell Tacos - $2.29/12
5 - Minute Salsa - $3.88
Basic Guacamole (Double Recipe) - $5.38
Additional Toppings :
- 1/2 Pound Grated cheddar cheese - $2.49
- Pint Sour Cream - $2.49
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro - $0.75
- One head iceberg lettuce - $1.99
- Red Onion - $0.83
1.5 Quarts Edy's Grand Vanilla Ice Cream - $4.99
Mexican Chocolate Sauce - $1.50