Nothing can replace the taste and creaminess of freshly made whipped cream, which is often called Chantilly cream or crème Chantilly. It's light, fluffy, and it melts in your mouth. Whipped cream can go on virtually any dessert, can be paired with a bowl of berries, or used in your coffee. I have a friend who is always ready to whip up a bowl of cream. She only believes in the "real stuff." No artificial whipped toppings for her -- or for us either.
You can use either a whisk, food processor or hand mixer to whip the cream, which is often flavored with sugar and vanilla or chocolate. It's recommended to make this dessert topping when all the ingredients are cold.
- 1 cup heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- Begin with thoroughly chilled cream.
- Chill mixing bowl and beaters.
- Whip the cream on medium speed.
- Add sugar (2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup granulated) and any flavorings while whipping cream.
- Cream is whipped when soft peaks form.
- For vanilla-flavored whipped cream, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- For a chocolate flavor add 2 tablespoons cocoa with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- For coffee-flavored cream add 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- One teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of your favorite liquor and liqueur flavors work as well.
- Use cream that has either a 36 to 40 percent milk-fat content (heavy cream) or 30 to 36 percent (light whipping cream).
- Don't over-whip the cream. It turns to butter.
- Sweeten whipped cream to taste.
Need A Little Pie With That Whip Cream?
Nothing goes better with whipped cream, than pie. If you want to bake a pie, try these recipes:
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie What makes this pie so outstanding is the sweet-tart flavor of the filling. Who would have thought that a vegetable that looks like red celery could even be used in a sweet pie much less taste so good?
- Lemon Chess Pie: I think chess pies deserve more attention that they seem to get these days. They are very simple pies that are typically made from ingredients already found in the pantry.
- Rustic Cherry Pie: Next time instead of making a traditional cherry pie, try this recipe for a Rustic Cherry Pie. Everyone will love the different look and delectable taste.
- Peach Pie: This recipe was made with Georgia peaches. Fresh peaches make the very best Peach Pie.