This soup is called ABC soup because it is super easy to prepare. Therefore, as simple as ABC!
Soups generally taste nicer if you use a double boiler - a 2 tiered soup pot with the bottom pot filled with water. The soup in the upper pot is steamed by the boiling water from the bottom pot. This gentler way of cooking soup releases the flavors from the ingredients gradually and the result is a sweeter tasting soup.
If you haven't got a double boiler, no worries. Just simmer the soup on the lowest heat possible.
This recipe serves 2.
- 1 lb chicken pieces with bones
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 quartered medium tomato
- 1 peeled and thickly sliced medium onion
- 1 tsp crushed pepper corn
- 4 cups of water
- Salt to taste
This is a quick way to remove the gunk from the chicken. Put the chicken pieces in a pot with just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil. Pour away the water. Rinse the chicken under the tap to get rid of any blood or other impurities.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes. If they are not immediately used, soak them in water so that they do not turn black.
Cooking the Soup
- Fill a double boiler or a soup pot with 4 cups of water. Put in the prepared chicken and boil on medium heat. Once the water boils, remove any impurities on the surface with a ladle. Turn the flame to low.
- Add the onions, tomato, carrots and pepper corn. Simmer on very low heat for about 2 hours.
- Drain the water from the potatoes. Add them into the soup 30 minutes before the soup is ready.
- Add salt to taste, and enjoy the Malaysian ABC soup!
Want to check out a Malaysian Party Menu?