Learning to make your own salad dressing is a great skill because commercial dressings often contain high amounts of sodium, fat or sugar. By preparing your recipe from scratch, you can control what goes into the dressing and avoid many of the questionable ingredients found in mass-produced brands.
This vinaigrette has a number of health benefits since mandarin oranges are chock full of vitamin C, an antioxidant said to boost the immune system and ward off cancer. The fruit also contains a high dose of vitamin A and moderate amounts of calcium, vitamin B-6 and magnesium.
If you pair this dressing with spinach salad, it's all the more beneficial because the same vitamins and minerals found in mandarin oranges are also found in spinach. In addition, spinach is a great plant-based source of iron.
- To begin, place the cider vinegar, mandarin orange juice, red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar), brown sugar, shallots and kosher salt in a blender. Pulse to combine the ingredients. While the blender is running, very slowly add olive oil in a steady stream through the top opening of the blender.
- This vinaigrette may be served cold or warm over salad greens. You can gently heat it in a sauce pan for a minute or two. Avoid heating it up in a microwave because by doing so, you risk sapping this healthful dressing of all of its benefits.
- Refrigerate any leftover vinaigrette for up to one week. After that, throw out any unused portion of this salad dressing.
Suggested Related Recipes
If your mandarin orange vinaigrette worked so well as a salad dressing that you're interested in making more orange- or citrus-based dressings, consult the list below for other recipes. The following dressings contain many of the same nutrients that this dressing does. Enjoy!
• Orange Almond Greens Recipe
• Citrus-Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
• Sparkling Mandarin Orange-Pineapple Mold Recipe
• Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
• Cranberry Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
• Honey-Lime Dressing Recipe
• Orange-Rosemary Vinaigrette Recipe
• Red Plum Vinaigrette Recipe