Mango cocktails are a common drink on the beaches of southern Thailand, and here you'll find the recipe so you can enjoy them right in your own backyard paradise! This drink is so delicious, it conjures up images of lying on a tropical beach taking in the sunshine and surf. Mangoes are an easy fruit to prepare - if you're not used to cutting into a mango, see my instructions below. Makes a superb summer drink to sip on in the afternoon, and is also a very popular party drink. Garnish yours with slices of mango or other tropical or local summer fruit. For food pairings, serve with something crisp and crunchy like my Thai spring rolls or really spice things up with some of my spicier Thai finger/party foods where the hot flavors of chili marry beautifully with the cooling tones of mango. For a non-alcoholic version, see tip below recipe. Here's to Summer!
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup lime juice (or juice of 1/2 lime)
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 Tbsp. natural syrup, like maple syrup OR 1 -3 tsp. sugar (to taste)
- 1 bottle sparkling white wine (or substitute sparkling spring water if you prefer less alcohol)
- Optional Garnishes: ice cubes OR crushed ice, wedges of fresh mango or lime, plus any other fresh summer fruit of your choice - all of it looks lovely on the side of a cocktail glass
- First, cut the mangoes and drop all their succulent flesh into your blender.
- Add the vodka, lime juice, salt, and syrup or sugar. Blend well to create a kind of mango puree. Now do a taste-test, adding more syrup or sugar if desired (how much syrup will depend on the sweetness of your mangoes). This drink should be a balance between sweet and sour, but leaning more toward the sweet.
- Pour this wonderful mango concoction into glasses, half-filling them. Top up with your choice of champagne, sparkling wine, or sparkling spring water if you prefer less alcohol. Finish with a couple of ice cubes or some crushed ice.
- If desired, garnish glasses with slices/wedges of fresh lime, plus your choice of fresh fruit (I used fresh cherries). CHEERS!
Tip: Non-Alcoholic Version - To make this drink non-alcoholic, substitute the vodka for 1/4 cup water OR mango juice (or other tropical juice, such as guava or pineapple juice). Then top up your glass with sparkling spring water (such as Perrier) instead of champagne. ENJOY!