Delicious maple flakes are incorporated into these brown sugar shortbread cookies. They are simple to mix and bake, and they will satisfy any cookie craving.
Maple flakes are crunchy little bits of pure maple syrup. They make an excellent flavoring for cereal, sweet potatoes, yogurt, and desserts.They are not inexpensive, but they are an excellent ingredient for special desserts or breakfast. I sprinkle a little on my oatmeal in the morning.
Whole Foods has small jars of maple flakes, but Amazon has them about 60% cheaper in 1-pound bags. (Buy Maple Flakes From Amazon)
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (light, packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple flakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven to 325 F (165 C/Gas 3). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar and light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat until blended. Add the maple flakes and flour and beat on low speed until well combined.
- Shape the dough into small balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Dip a fork in confectioners' sugar and press the cookies to flatten slightly. They should be about 1/3-inch to 1/2-inch in thickness.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, or until just lightly browned around the edges and on the bottoms.
- Cool the cookies on racks.
Tips and Variations
- Very lightly brush pure maple syrup over the tops of the cookies before putting them in the oven. The light coating will form a thin glaze on the cookie tops, and they will brown slightly more. You might also sprinkle a few more flakes over the glazed cookies before they go in the oven.
- If you prefer to use unsalted butter, add about a (scant) 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the batter with the flour.
- To make cut-out cookies, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for about 30 minutes. Roll out about 1/2-inch thick and cut out with square, round, or shaped cookie cutters.
- For chocolate dipped cookies, chop 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate. Put half of the chocolate in a (heatproof) bowl over simmering water. When the chocolate has melted, add the remaining chopped chocolate. Stir with a wooden spoon until all of the chocolate has melted. Dip the cookies in the melted chocolate and place on a baking sheet that has been lined with wax paper or parchment. Chill the cookies in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes, or until the chocolate coating has hardened.
You Might Also Like