Marinated tofu is paired with spinach in a simple stir-fry that is loaded with nutrients. The preparation time includes time for marinating the tofu.
When it's time to start stir-frying, remember that spinach cooks very quickly so it's best to have all the seasonings measured and on hand near the stove before you start cooking.
As always, how much seasoning to add comes down to personal preference. Feel free to adjust as desired.
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (or according to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon chile paste (or according to taste)
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt )or according to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Combine the marinade ingredients for the tofu (6 tablespoons dark soy sauce, 3 tablespoons rice wine or sherry, 3/4 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon minced garlic plus 1/4 teaspoon chili paste in a small bowl.
- Place the tofu cubes in a resealable plastic bag. Pour in the marinade ingredients. Marinate the tofu in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally. Remove the tofu and discard the excess marinade.
- Preheat the wok and add 1 tablespoon oil, tilting the wok so that the oil comes partway up the sides of the wok.
- When the oil is hot, add the tofu cubes. Stir-fry about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned on the outside. Remove and wipe out the wok.
- Have all the ingredients for stir-frying the spinach at hand near the stove. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the wok, again swirling so that it comes about halfway up the sides of the wok.
- When the oil is hot, add 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon chili paste, and the salt. Stir for a few seconds until the garlic is aromatic.
- Add the spinach, stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until the leaves are almost wilted. Stir in the 1/4 teaspoon sugar and Asian sesame oil. (Note: If you don't already have the sugar and sesame oil measured out, move the wok to a cold burner while you do so, and then return it to the heated burner).
- Sprinkle the spinach with a bit of black pepper if desired. Add the tofu back into the pan and stir to combine with the spinach. Serve immediately.