Marzipan-Covered Cherries mix smooth, soft almond marzipan with sweet and juicy maraschino cherries for a beautiful bite-sized treat. With a coating of chocolate and toasted almonds, these little candies have something for everyone to love, and they're a fun twist on traditional chocolate-covered cherries.
You can buy premade marzipan for this recipe, or try making your own with this easy marzipan recipe.
- 20 maraschino cherries (with stems)
- 8 oz marzipan
- 4 oz chocolate (dark, chopped)
- 1/4 cup almonds (ground, toasted, or other nuts)
1. Drain the cherries from their liquid and pat them dry between layers of paper towels. Cover a baking sheet with foil or waxed paper and set aside for now. Place the ground nuts in a shallow bowl.
2. Divide the marzipan into 20 pieces. It doesn't have to be precise, as long as they are all approximately the same size.
3. Roll one of the marzipan portions into a ball between your hands, then flatten it into a disc about 2 inches round.
If the marzipan starts to get sticky, dust your palms with powdered sugar periodically.
4. Place a cherry in the center of the marzipan disc. Fold the marzipan up over the cherry, covering it completely and pinching it at the top where the stem sticks out. Roll the marzipan-covered cherry between your palms to smooth out any seams or wrinkles and to get it completely round. Place the marzipan-covered cherry on the baking sheet and repeat until all of your cherries are covered in marzipan.
5. Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave until it is completely melted and smooth. Dip a cherry in chocolate until it comes about two-thirds to three-fourths of the way up the sides of the marzipan. (You can also dip it completely if you don't like the two-toned look.)
6. While the chocolate is still wet, dip the bottom in the bowl of ground nuts so that there is a coating of nuts around the bottom of the cherry. Replace the completed cherry on the baking sheet and repeat until all of the cherries have been dipped in chocolate and nuts.
7. Refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate, for about 10 minutes. After the chocolate is set, you can serve your Marzipan-Covered Cherries. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.