The white-fleshed sweet potato (boniato) is as versatile as traditional American potatoes. In the Caribbean, there is a huge variety of sweet potatoes and people are always finding different ways to use them. Often, they are substituted for regular potatoes.
In an effort to serve a different kind of mashed potato dish. the white-flesh sweet potatoes were used to make this spiced mashed potato dish. Serve this just as you would regular mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (white-fleshed)
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted, melted)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup milk (whole, warm)
- Hot pepper (to taste, minced)
- 1/4 cup green onions (white and green parts, sliced)
Peel sweet potatoes, cut into large pieces and put into a pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
When the pot comes to a boil, salt the water and let cook until a knife inserts easily. Drain thoroughly.
Add drained potatoes to hot pot (same pot it was cooked in), add the salt, butter, pepper, and milk and mash until smooth.
Season with hot pepper. Mix well. Fold in the green onions.