Only 4 ingredients go into this surprisingly simple and tasty mayonnaise biscuits recipe. If you like cheesy biscuits, add 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheese of choice to the dough.
The mayonnaise replaces the fat found in most biscuit recipes and the vinegar in the mayonnaise makes the biscuits light and fluffy, in much the same way it does for pie crust.
This is a drop biscuit recipe, which means rolling and cutting are not required. The yield is 12 biscuits, so you will need two (6-well) muffin tins or one (12-well) muffin tin. For a rougher appearance, equal mounds of biscuit dough can be dropped onto well-greased baking tins.
This biscuit recipe also is ideal for cooking on top of a stew while it bubbles away with the lid on.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 1 cup whole milk + 2 tablespoons whole milk or cream
- Grease two (6-well) muffin tins or one (12-well) muffin tin or a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat oven to 450 F.
- In a small bowl, combine self-rising flour, mayonnaise, milk and optional sugar. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed. Do not overmix because that will cause the biscuits to be tough.
- Drop batter into well-greased muffin tins or onto a well-greased baking sheet spaced at least 1 inch apart.
- Brush the tops with milk or cream.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Note: You also can make these in a well-greased 9-inch baking dish. Cut while hot and serve with butter.
More Biscuit Recipes
- Homemade Biscuit Baking Mix Recipe: Instead of spending your money on store-bought baking mixes for pancakes, biscuits, and dumplings, make your own with this simple blend. If you use shortening, it is shelf stable. If you use butter, the mix should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Southern-Style Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe: This traditional rolled biscuit recipe is made with shortening, butter, and buttermilk. The trick to light biscuits is to handle the dough as little as possible.
- Angel Biscuits Recipe: This is another popular biscuit recipe that gets its fluffiness from the yeast in the dough which is patted out and cut. Fill them with sliced ham for a delicious sandwich.
- Biscuit Recipe Collection: Here are recipes for every palate and every occasion. From spiced sweet potato biscuits to cornmeal to pepper jack to bacon and chive, there's bound to be at least one biscuit you'd like to try.