These stuffed mushrooms boast a savory filling made with browned and crumbled sweet Italian sausage and Parmesan cheese. The mushrooms are not only delicious; they're low carb! If you or your guests are following a low carb regime, these mushrooms are an excellent choice.
Feel free to use a hot and spicy Italian sausage or chorizo in the filling, or add a dash of cayenne pepper to heat them up.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Oil a shallow baking dish — large enough to fit the mushroom caps in one layer — with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Wash the mushrooms well.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely.
- Arrange the mushroom caps in the prepared baking pan.
- If you are using individual Italian sausages, remove the outer casings.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook the sausage with the chopped mushroom stems until the sausage is no longer pink. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute
- Add parsley and the Parmesan cheese to the sausage mixture. If the mixture is too dry, add a teaspoon or two of olive oil.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the sausage mixture and pour 1/4 cup of hot water into the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.