These tasty meatloaf muffins are a nice change from the everyday meatloaf, and kids love them.
Make sure you use lean ground beef to keep grease to a minimum. Feel free to use 1 teaspoon of Italian herb blend instead of the oregano and thyme.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup soft fine bread crumbs
- 1 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan or spray with nonstick cooking or baking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and saute until lightly browned and tender.
- Add the finely minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Combine the ground beef with the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of the ketchup, the Worcestershire sauce, the beaten egg, thyme, oregano, ground black pepper, and salt.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and mix until well blended. Pack the meat mixture into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the meatloaf muffins for 20 minutes. Top each meatloaf muffin with a few teaspoons of the remaining ketchup.
- Return to the oven and bake for about 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- The meatloaves should register at least 160 F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of one.
Note: If the muffin cups are a little over-filled, put a rimmed baking pan or sheet of foil under the muffin tin to catch any overflow.