Meatloaf seems to have one of those reputations of being something that many would try to avoid. It was a mixture of unfamiliar meats and ingredients that moms would put on the table and the rest of the family would avoid.
These mini meatloaves are anything but that unappealing meal from your past. These healthy mini meatloaves are loaded with flavor and are tender and satisfying. The course chopped onion and savory ketchup lead to a wonderfully flavored meatloaf that will have the family asking for seconds.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for the ketchup and mustard. Mix the ingredients well, using your hands. You will find that trying to mix the ingredients with a spoon will become difficult to do. But using your hand to mix the meat mixture gives you great control over the ingredients and helps to make sure that everything gets mixed very well.
- To form the mini meatloaves, gather a small amount of the mixture and use your hands to form it. Use about 3/4 cup of the meat mixture, and shape into a small meatloaf, using your hands. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat the procedure with the remaining meat mixture to make 8 small meatloaves.
- In a small dish, combine the ketchup and mustard. Spoon about 2 tsp of the ketchup mixture on top of each meatloaf to finish each meatloaf off.
- Bake the meatloaves for 45 minutes, or until the insides of the meatloaves are no longer pink. Remove the meatloaves from the oven, and serve them warm.
Another great attribute to this recipe is that this meatloaf with an oatmeal recipe is easy to prepare ahead of time if needed. When you are short on time around the dinner hour, making these meatloaves ahead of time saves a great deal of the chaos later in the day from making dinner. Simply make the meatloaves and store, covered, in the refrigerator until about an hour before your meal. Then simply uncover, slide in the oven, and cook for 45 minutes!
To make a well-rounded meal, serve the meatloaves with steamed vegetable such as carrots or broccoli, as well as a fresh green salad and crispy bread or steamed brown rice. A healthy baked potato or lean mashed potatoes also make a nice accompaniment.
Per Serving (1 mini meatloaf) Calories 177