Melissa Homer is a member of The Spruce's Cleaning Review board with over 20 years of experience in the professional cleaning industry. She is a trained cleaning professional, consultant, and educator with a two-decade career spanning commercial and professional residential cleaning. Melissa specializes in premium surface care, cleaning safety, cleaning procedure efficiency, cleaning training documentation, and cleaning damage repair.
- 20+ years of professional cleaning experience
- Authored the first comprehensive online learning management systems (LMS) in the professional residential cleaning industry, called MaidPro University Online, with over 20 courses on the ins and outs of professional residential cleaning
- Developed the first COVID-19 Cleaning Training Course in the Professional Residential Cleaning Industry in March 2020, released to the public with over 6K views in the first month
- Successfully consulted on the repair of hundreds of cleaning damage claims, restoring surfaces insurance companies deemed unsalvageable
- Partnered in the development of several professional residential cleaning tools and chemicals, including the Sani-Scrubber. Acted as key product tester and consultant for several large commercial product lines, including ProTeam, Microfiber Wholesale, MISCO, and Seventh Generation Professional
- Member of the International Sanitary Supply Association (ISSA) since 2012
With over 20 years of professional cleaning experience, Melissa currently serves as Chief Cleaning Officer for Microfiber Wholesale, one of the United States’ largest distributors and manufacturers of microfiber cleaning products in the professional residential cleaning industry. She works with their Marketing team to produce all professional cleaning educational content for social media, as well as their R&D team to help in the design of their new microfiber cleaning tools. Prior to this, she was the Chief Cleaning Officer at MaidPro, one of North America’s largest professional residential cleaning franchises.
Previous to her long tenure at MaidPro, Melissa worked as a Regional Janitorial Sanitation Account Manager for Procter & Gamble Commercial Products Division providing commercial chemical product support to distributors and large commercial end-users across New England. She has been interviewed and quoted in numerous leading publications such as Martha Stewart Living, Real Simple, Consumer Reports, Better Homes & Gardens, U.S. News & World Report, and The Washington Post.
Melissa graduated with honors from Tufts University.
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash Meredith brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce reaches 32 million people each month. Learn more about us and our editorial process, and our commitment to ensuring we are providing you with the most trustworthy advice by certified experts for your home and garden.