The Memorial Day weekend marks the beginning of the summer season for retailers and shoppers alike. Not coincidentally, this also happens to be one of the major sales event times of the year. Furniture is traditionally on sale during Memorial Day, but so are lots of summer-related items, like summer clothing and outdoor equipment. But just because it's a big sale time doesn't mean it's the best sale time for every item.
Here's a quick look at what tends to be the lowest around Memorial Day and what might be lower at another time of the year.
Best Deals on Memorial Day
While all kinds of home furnishings and accessories and all-things summer tend to go on sale around Memorial Day, this is an especially good time to buy:
- Mattresses: You can expect discounts of 50 to 60 percent over Memorial Day weekend. Bedding and related items also tend to be greatly reduced. Bedroom furniture may also be discounted at many stores.
- Spring clothing: While summer clothes are only moderately reduced around Memorial Day, spring clothes often are drastically reduced to make way for the peak of summer shopping.
- Home appliances: Following the trend of bedding and furniture, major appliance retailers (including the big home improvement stores) often slash prices for Memorial Day.
- Sports equipment: Sporting goods retailers are ramping up for summer (and capitalizing on spring fever), lowering prices on boats, kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, camping gear, and outdoor apparel and accessories.
So-So Deals on Memorial Day
These items tend to be on sale over Memorial Day, but they're typically discounted even more at other times of the year:
- Outdoor furniture: Fall is usually the best time to buy patio furniture. Of course, that's like buying a bathing suit in November, but given the cost of quality outdoor furniture, it can be worth it to wait on your purchase until the end of the season and store your new furniture for next summer.
- Tools: Tools are often on sale over Memorial Day, but they're usually reduced even more for Father's Day, just a few weeks later.
- Lawn/Yard equipment: Lawnmowers, trimmers, leaf blowers, etc. are cheapest after the summer season. If you're making a major purchase, it's probably worth the wait.
- Summer clothes: While fashionistas must outfit themselves before each season, if you can wait until June (or so), you'll save big on swimsuits and summer clothing. You'll save even more at the end of summer.
Tips for Memorial Day Shopping
If you are buying in a store, make sure to talk to a salesperson and ask about special discounts and savings. You might be able to get even better prices, and it never hurts to ask. Many retailers also offer special financing on furniture and major appliances, such as one year with no interest. When shopping online, you should be able to get free shipping or special rates when you spend a certain amount. You will also find offers for free home delivery, or the option to pick up your online purchase at your nearest store.