In Memphis, ribs are traditionally served up dry. This doesn't mean that the meat is tough and dried out, there just isn't a barbecue sauce. This traditional Memphis barbecue rub recipe is the base of a great rack of pork ribs. You can adjust the heat by changing the amount of cayenne.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) paprika
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) onion powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) cayenne
1. Mix ingredients together. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months after preparation.
2. Spread evenly on prepared ribs that have been patted dry and let sit until the rub appears moist.
Use this rub for: