With the popularity of Mexican cuisine on the rise having a ready made Mexican spice mix on hand can save you time in the kitchen. Making your own Mexican spice mix at home with this blend of herbs and spices is simple.
The most commonly used flavors in Mexican cooking are garlic and onion and, lately, chipotle powder (roasted jalapeños that have been dried and ground). The most commonly used herbs and spices in Mexican cooking include cilantro, chili powder, Mexican oregano, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, anise, cocoa powder and epazote. Epazote (sometimes known as Skunkweed) is an herb that is primarily used in Mexican bean dishes.
This Mexican spice mix is great in chili, and sprinkled on beef, pork, or chicken before grilling, baking, or broiling.
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground dried chipotle chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together 1/2 cup chili powder, 1/4 cup Hungarian sweet paprika, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder, 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt until evenly combined.
- Place Mexican spice mix in an airtight glass jar and store in a cool, dark place. Use within 3 months. Shake before each use to re-combine.
- This Mexican spice mix is great in chili. Sprinkle it on beef, pork, or chicken before grilling, baking, or broiling for a south-of-the-border flavor.
Makes about 1 cup of Mexican Spice Mix.
Here Is More About Spices
- Collection of International Spice Mix Recipes
- Spice Mix Chart
- Spice Substitution Chart
Here Are More Mexican Recipes
- Cinco de Mayo Foods and Recipes
- Quick and Easy Mexican Recipes
- 10 Recipes Using Green Chiles
- Mexican Recipes for Lent
- Mexican Recipes for Fall
- Mexican Recipes for Thanksgiving
- Easy Mexican (Spanish) Rice Recipe
- Low-Carb Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Holiday Recipes
- Traditional Mexican Molé Sauce Recipe
- Mexican Grill Recipes
- Easy Mexican Enchiladas Recipe
- Easy Mexican Recipes for the Kids
- Vegetarian and Vegan Mexican Recipes