Only 3 ingredients go into the simple cheese dip, including Velveeta cheese and tomatoes with green chile peppers. Taco seasoning provides the seasoning for
The recipe is easily doubled with 1 pound of cheese and about 1 1/2 cups of diced tomatoes with green chile peppers.
Chile Con Queso Cheese Dip
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning, or to taste
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, such as Ro-Tel
Cube Velveeta cheese and place in slow cooker. Cover and heat on LOW for 30 to 60 minutes, until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes and seasoning. Cover and continue heating 30 minutes.
Serve hot, with tortilla chips or corn chips.
Tips and Variations
- Use a chunky medium or hot salsa in place of the tomatoes with green chile peppers.
- Add 1/2 cup of sauteed sliced mushrooms to the dip.
- Add about 1/2 cup of sauteed chopped onions to the dip mixture.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro just before serving.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-low heat . Add 2 tablespoons of butter. When the butter has melted, stir in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar or Gruyere cheese to the sauce mixture. Stir until melted. Put the mixture in the slow cooker and add the taco seasoning and diced tomatoes and chile peppers; blend well. Keep warm for serving.
You Might Also Like