This microwave caramel corn is a snap to make — you'll have delicious candied corn in less than 10 minutes!
The caramel mixture is cooked in the microwave and then the popped popcorn and caramel are combined and microwaved together. This microwave caramel corn is excellent for game day or movie night snacking.
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Stick (4 oz.) margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 quarts of POPPED corn
- Combine all ingredients except soda and popped corn in a 1 1/2 to 2-quart microwave safe bowl. Put in the microwave (100% power) and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir in soda.
- Put the popped corn in a brown paper grocery bag and pour the syrup over the corn. Close the bag by rolling it down a couple times and SHAKE HARD. Cook in the bag in the microwave (100% power) for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove and shake vigorously and cook in the microwave another 1½ minutes. Remove and shake again. microwave another 1 1/2 minutes.
- Shake when you remove it from the microwave and pour it on a large foil-lined baking sheet to cool.
- Store the caramel popcorn in an airtight container when cool.
NOTE: Don't leave a brown grocery bag in the microwave unattended. Sometimes they have small metallic particles in them and can catch on fire. Watch it throughout the cooking time.
This keeps well if in an airtight container, but won't last if you open it and take a nibble.