Million Dollar Pie thankfully doesn't live up to its name cost-wise, but more than 1,000 pins on Pinterest prove its worth in the recipe vault. Also called Millionaire Pie or Millionaire's Pie, this creamy concoction blends canned pineapple, toasted nuts, and shredded coconut into sweetened condensed milk made lofty with whipped dessert topping. Some versions incorporate cream cheese and others call for heavy cream, but they all result in a luxurious bite of sweetness.
The basic recipe branches into what seems like a million directions, with maraschino cherries making frequent appearances, mandarin oranges joining the pineapple, shortbread or flaky pastry replacing the standard graham cracker crust, frozen adaptations, and even a chocolate pecan impostor.
You can start with this classic rendition, then adjust, modify and remaster it to your belly's content. The recipe makes two pies with one can of condensed milk, but you can cut the ingredients in half to make one.
- In a large bowl, combine condensed milk and lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add pineapple, 3/4 cup coconut, and 3/4 cup pecans. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Divide evenly between two crusts.
- Spread remaining 1/4 cup coconut on a cookie sheet and toast in 350 F oven, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut and remaining pecans onto pie.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
Other Cream Pie Recipes to Try
If you can't get enough homemade cream pie, you'll love these other cream pie recipes: