This easy little recipe for Mini Quiches is wonderful served as appetizers at a holiday party, especially at Christmas. You can make them ahead of time and freeze them; they reheat beautifully. They are ideal for a party because they are delicious whether served hot, right out of the oven, or at room temperature. But make sure that they do not sit out of the oven or the refrigerator longer than two hours. After that time, they must be thrown away.
You can use just about any food for the filling in this simple recipe. If you don't like mushrooms, use onions and garlic. You could add bacon in place of the portabello mushroom, or use chopped ham or prosciutto. Or use a combination of different meats, vegetables, and cheeses for a nice variety.
I like to put these little quiches on a warming tray for serving. But they are also wonderful on a regular tray, garnished with some fresh herbs and whole mushrooms.
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust (2 pie crusts)
- 1 large portabello mushroom
- 1 package/8 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese or Havarti cheese
1. Let pie crusts stand at room temperature for 20 minutes, then gently roll out to 12" circles on a floured board.
2. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth and chop in food processor or with chef's knife.
3. Place the butter and olive oil in a medium skillet and cook mushrooms over medium heat until all liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are brown and tender.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 2 dozen 1 3/4" muffin cups.
5. Using a 3" cookie cutter or a round glass of that size, cut 24 circles from pie crust (12 from each crust), rerolling crusts if needed. Press into prepared muffin cups.
6. Divide mushrooms evenly among the lined cups.
7. In a small bowl, combine the egg, cream, salt and cayenne pepper and beat well. Pour egg mixture over mushrooms, using about 2 teaspoon per each muffin cup. Sprinkle each with grated cheese.
8. Bake the quiches for 18-20 minutes or until center of quiches is set.
9. To serve warm, cool 5 minutes before removing from pans.
10. To freeze, cool on wire rack and freeze in single layer until solid. Place in air tight freezer container in single layer. Label and freeze up to 3 months
11. To reheat, place the frozen quiches on cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes until hot.