This mock chicken with ground meat goes back to a time when chicken was expensive and veal was the budget meat. It was commonly made with pork and veal.
- 2 pounds ground veal or pork, or a combination
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cracker meal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled leaf sage
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- Combine ground meat, egg, milk, 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, salt, pepper, and sage in a large bowl; gently mix until well blended. Divide meat mixture into 16 portions. Form each portion into a drumstick shape around a skewer.
- Melt butter in a small skillet; put remaining 1 cup cracker crumbs in a pie plate.
- Dip each drumstick into the melted butter then roll in cracker meal.
- Place drumsticks in a single layer in a well-greased jelly roll pan.
- Drizzle remaining melted butter or margarine over tops. Bake at 400 F for about 45 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
You Might Also Like
Learn More About "City Chicken" (Wikipedia)