This mounds cake was shared on our forum. Made with a cake mix, coconut filling and a thin chocolate icing. The cake is split to make four layers or bake it in three 8-inch layer cake pans.
A thin cooked chocolate icing is the perfect finishing touch for this yummy cake.
- 1 box chocolate or chocolate fudge cake mix plus oil, eggs, and water as directed
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 16 large marshmallows
- 14 ounces frozen coconut*
- Chocolate Ganache Icing:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Optional: sweetened coconut, toasted if desired
Prepare the Cake and Filling
- Prepare and bake the cake as directed on the package (for a 2-layer cake) and let the cake cool.
- Carefully split each cake layer horizontally, making four thin layers.
- In a saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, granulated sugar and marshmallows. Place the pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved and the marshmallows melted. Remove from heat and stir in coconut.
- Spread the coconut mixture between the layers and over the top of the cake.
Make the Chocolate Ganache Icing
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the heavy cream to a simmer. Add the chocolate chips and cook, stirring constantly, until the chocolate has melted.
- Drizzle the warm chocolate ganache over the top of the cake and let it drip down the sides.
- Top the warm icing with toasted or sweetened flaked coconut, if desired.
*Walmart usually carries frozen coconut. Check Walmart online to see if your local store carries it.
You Might Also Like
Chocolate Sponge Cake