Mozzarella Cheese Storage, Tips, and Substitutions
• If a recipe specifies fresh mozzarella, use the real thing or risk an unsatisfactory result.
• Fresh mozzarella is best at room temperature. Remove it from the refrigerator two hours before you plan to serve it.
• Monterey Jack or Bel Paese cheese can be substituted for mozzarella in most recipes.
• Processed mozzarella can be frozen up to six months, but it will become crumbly and lose moisture when thawed.
Thaw slowly in the refrigerator and hold it at least a week to let the liquid re-absorb before using.
• Thawed mozzarella is best used only in melted applications.
• Freezing cheese tends to separate fat globules, which will may cause "oil slicks" in your dishes when melted.
• All types of mozzarella should be constantly refrigerated until consumed.
• Lower-fat mozzarella cheese generally contains more water, so keep this in mind when using it in melted dishes.
• 8 ounces of mozzarella equals 2 cups grated.
• Good companions for mozzarella: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and light-bodied Pinot Noir ; crusty bread, , roasted red peppers, tomatoes, basil, garlic, , sardines, and olives.