This delicious, melt-in-your-mouth chicken kabab (also known as a kebab or kabob) recipe is known as murg malai kabab in Indian. It's so easy to make you'll wonder why you haven't cooked it before.
If you've got kids, they will love its mild flavors too. You can partly prepare it ahead of time by marinating the chicken in advance. Don't worry if you don't have a barbecue grill because you also can make murg malai kabab in the oven.
- For the Chicken:
- 1 pound (500 g) chicken thighs, bones removed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- For the First Marinade:
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- For the Second Marinade:
- 1/2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 cup fresh green coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil like vegetable, canola or sunflower oil
- To Serve:
- Pinch chaat masala
- 1 lemon to garnish
Before You Begin
- The recipe for this melt-in-your-mouth kabab includes marinating the chicken in two separate steps.
- The best way to mix all the marinade ingredients is by hand so make sure to wash your hands well before you start.
Make the First Marinade
- Pat the chicken cubes dry with paper towels to help the marinade adhere to it better. When this is done, lay the pieces out neatly in a flat dish.
- Sprinkle the white pepper, cardamom and the first lot of salt over the chicken. Also, add the garlic and ginger pastes.
- Mix thoroughly to ensure that the chicken is fully coated. Cover with plastic and put into the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
Make the Second Marinade
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the remaining part of the marinade. Put the grated cheese in a deep bowl and mash it with clean hands to ensure that it forms a paste and has no lumps.
- Now add the sour cream and salt to taste to the cheese and continue to mash and mix so that there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Grind the coriander leaves and green chilies into a coarse paste using a blender or a mortar and pestle. Add this coarse paste to the cheese-sour cream mixture and stir to blend well.
- After the chicken has marinated in the first part of the marinade for 30 minutes, add it to the second part of the marinade -- the cheese-sour cream-coriander chili mix. Combine well to ensure all the chicken pieces are well coated.
- Now add the oil and mix well again. Allow the chicken to rest for 1 hour.
Assemble, Cook and Serve the Kababs
- Heat your oven or barbecue grill to 450 F (230 C/Gas Mark 8).
- Soak your bamboo skewers in water so that they don't burn during the cooking process.
- When the chicken has marinated for 1 hour, thread 3 to 4 pieces on each skewer, ensuring that you do it in a way so as to expose most of the chicken to the heat.
- When you have threaded all the chicken onto skewers, lay the skewers on a baking tray and put into your oven. Cook for 15 minutes, remove and turn the skewers so that the part of the chicken pieces that was facing down, is now facing up. Put back into the oven and cook another 15 minutes.
- When done, gently remove the chicken pieces from the skewers and arrange on a serving plate. You also can leave the skewers as is and serve as individual portions.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of the chaat masala and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve murg malai kabab with naan and a salad to make a meal or serve it just by itself as an appetizer.