This recipe for sautéed Mushrooms Provençal might be the easiest dish you'll ever prepare. Earthy and aromatic, these mushrooms are delicious served hot or cold.
The Mushrooms Provençal in this recipe are prepared with butter, but you could substitute olive oil. Either one is equally typical of the cooking of Provence.
Finally, Herbes de Provence are readily available at most specialty food stores, but you can also mix up a batch yourself. Here's a recipe for making your own Herbes de Provence.
- 8 oz fresh white mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tablespoon butter (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 generous tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they're fully coated with butter and start to soften a little.
- Add the Herbes de Provence and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the mushrooms are ever-so-slightly browned but still nicely soft and juicy.
- Season to taste with Kosher salt and serve right away, or cool and serve at room temperature.