Pork and cabbage is easy to make and delicious. Nancy uses either a pork loin roast or loin chops.
From Nancy: "This recipe was handed down through my family. My best guess is that it is a Danish dish since I am only second generation in this country."
- 6 pork chops or a pork loin roast
- Vegetable oil, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (or more as desired)
- 1 head cabbage
- Season the pork with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the pork chops in the oil, turning to brown all sides. This is key since the cabbage will get its color and flavor from the caramelization of the pork.
- After the pork is sufficiently brown on all sides, core a head of green cabbage and cut it into eight wedges.
- Lower heat to med-low to low. Add cabbage and a little more salt, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Continue simmering, stirring frequently, until the pork is falling apart and cabbage in brown and totally wilted.
- Serve with bread and homemade applesauce.
You Might Also Like