There aren't many dessert recipes that offer a lovely light pastry filled with a rich cream such as the Napoleon.
This recipe calls for a chocolate or vanilla pastry cream so be sure to check out those tasty recipes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lighly flour a bread board and rolling pin. Roll dough to 13 x 17-inch triangle, 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to cookie sheet.
- Prick dough with a fork. Cover with another cookie sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove top sheet and continue to bake for 5 more minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut pastry into thirds, lengthwise.
- Mix powdered sugar and water. Stir until smooth.
- Turn over 1 pastry strip on a rack.
- Pour the sugar glaze over the strip. Smooth with a spatula. Quickly pour stripes of chocolate over glaze.
- Drag knife over top to make decorative design. Let stand until dry, about 30 minutes.
- Place one unglazed strip on serving platter.
- Spread half of pastry cream on top.
- Top with the other unglazed strip. Top with rest of pastry cream. Top that with the glazed strip.
- Chill until firm, about an hour. (Don't chill longer than 3 hours. It may get soggy.) For serving, cut with serrated knife.