8 Ways to Negotiate Your Move and Get Your Company to Pay for It

Moving Out Background
SeventyFour / Getty Images

If you're moving because of a job transfer, in particular, if you've been asked to move to another city, another state, or possibly to another country, remember that you're in a position to negotiate your relocation agreement. The following list is suggestions of what the company may be responsible for and what you could ask for should you be forced to move.

Cost of Moving

This is the obvious negotiation point. Moving is expensive and time-consuming so your company should pay for, and in many cases, arrange for your household to be packed and moved. Expenses should include mover fees, including professional packing and unpacking services; transportation costs of driving or flying to the new location; hotel costs; storage fees; food; and specialty service costs such as ​moving appliances, a piano, car or boat. Make sure you make a list of the items you need to move, in particular items that require special handling. The company should also pay for costs incurred by each family member, including pets.

Temporary Housing Costs

If you need temporary housing, the company should pay the costs of the rental, including furniture and parking. If you need temporary housing, store your household goods in storage and then rent a furnished apartment, which will have everything stocked: kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms.

Cost of Finding a New Home

The company should provide at least one trip to the new location for you and your family so you can research your move. This allows you time to see the new area, check out neighborhoods, and possibly find a new school for your children. It will also give you a chance to secure a real estate agent and begin house hunting. Such costs can also include transportation to a new location, hotel fees, and food.

Fees Incurred From Selling Your Home

Often if you're being asked to relocate, you may need to do a short sale. If this is the case, make sure you note any costs incurred and any financial losses.

Money Losses From Breaking a Lease

If you're currently renting, the company should be responsible for paying any fees incurred for breaking a lease. Check your lease so you know the rules about how much notice you need to provide and how much money you could lose if you have to leave before the lease is up. Contact the landlord or rental management company to know exactly how much you will lose from your initial rental deposit.

Provision of a Relocation Agent

A relocation agent can help with special requirements such as finding a suitable school, nursing home, and/or daycare. They can also help find you temporary housing or a real estate agent in your new city or town. If you're moving family members with special needs, this service should be included in your agreement. They should also provide you with any professional services you might need like movers, packing and unpacking services, and local real estate agents.

Employment Counseling for Spouse

Ask your company if it will provide services and support to a spouse or partner who is moving with you. Services may include employment or career counseling or help with relocation issues. Moving is hard, but often more difficult for the person who is accompanying the transferred employee.

Other Expenses

Other expenses that might be covered include registering your vehicle, school fees, service installations, and/or appliance hook-ups. Find out if the company pays a lump sum for extra costs or by item only.