01 of 07
Gather Your Supplies
New York City has the biggest New years celebration in the country. Every New Years Eve along with the famous ball drop, 3000 tons of confetti is dispersed onto Times Square.That is a lot of confetti! Most of us aren't lucky enough to participate personally in the New York event, but that doesn't mean there can't be confetti fun at home, albeit on a smaller scale.
Make some cute New Years party poppers with your children this year to celebrate the holiday in style. They are quite easy... to make, don't cost a lot and are surprisingly effective spraying confetti into the air. You may not be in New York City, but you still will have an amazingly fun time.
You can also use this confetti cannon craft for parties and celebrations other than the New Year. Make them in red, white and blue for the 4th of July or Bastille day. Confetti cannons made with bright color combinations are perfect for birthdays and even weddings. Confetti is an eco-friendly replacement for the tradition of sprinkling rice on the bride and groom as they leave the church after the ceremony.
Whatever type of celebration you are planning, confetti poppers will surely add a festive, playful and fun atmosphere to your event!
Continue to 2 of 7 below.
- Paper shredding machine (optional)
- Decorative paper
- Paper tubes ( cardboard paper towel and toilet tissue tubes)
- White craft glue
- Container for craft glue
- Old small paint brush
- Balloons in a color that matches decorative paper
- Duct tape
- Paper Towels
- Tissue paper (for confetti)
- Store bought confetti (optional)
02 of 07
Cut the Balloons
- Cut a balloon in half with scissors. The cut should be about one half inch below the neck of the balloon.
- If you are using a paper towel tube, cut it down to approximately 5 inches high with scissors, Be careful not to flatten the tube.
* A quick tip It is best to gently poke a hole into the cardboard with a sharp knife or the tips of the scissors. After making the hole place the tip of the scissors into the hole and cut the tube. Cutting the paper tube with this technique will help keep the... paper tube round rather than flat.Continue to 3 of 7 below.
03 of 07
Attach the Balloon to the Cardboard Tube
Continue to 4 of 7 below.
- Place the round bottom portion of the balloon onto one end of the cardboard tube.
- Straighten the balloon so that there are no creases or folds.
- Secure the balloon onto the paper tube with duct tape.
*A quick tip: Have your balloon match your decorative paper in color for continuity in design.
04 of 07
Decorate the Confetti Shooters
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- Cut a rectangle shaped piece of decorative paper the circumference of the tube plus one-half inch. The height of the rectangle should be the height of the tube plus one-half inch.
- Use an old paint brush to paint a line of white craft glue from the bottom of the paper tube, over the edge of the balloon and duct tape to the top of the paper tube.
- Apply one short edge of the decorative paper rectangle onto the bottom of the tube making sure to cover the duct tape and smooth down. Use a paper towel... when smoothing to avoid the glue spreading onto the top portion of the paper. The paper towel will also keep your fingers clean and will prevent the spread of glue onto the decorative paper.
- Roll the paper around the tube and apply a line of glue with the brush onto the bottom of the remaining side.
- Use a paper towel to press and attach the paper rectangle edge firmly onto the paper tube.
- Allow the paper tube to dry for approximately fifteen minutes.
*A quick tip: Gift wrapping paper works well with this project, but you can use any paper such as scrapbook paper, extra gift bags, newspaper, printed paper napkins, etc. Use your imagination to come up with some bright party decor designs.
05 of 07
Glue the Ends of the Paper Inside the Tube
Continue to 6 of 7 below.
- There should be approximate one-half inch of paper above the top of the tube. Cut slits into the paper with scissors every half inch around the top of the tube.
- Brush a line of glue onto the top inside of the paper tube.
- Press the cut strips into the center of the tube with your fingers to form a finished edge.
- Use the paper napkin to press the side of the decorative paper down firmly and remove any bits of remaining glue.
06 of 07
Fill the Tube With Confetti
Fill the tube with confetti. You have the options of making your confetti or using premade confetti. Making your confetti takes time and effort but it can be fun for the kids. It is also thrifty if you are trying to save some money.To make your confetti follow these steps:
Continue to 7 of 7 below.
- Cut tissue paper or any type of light weight paper such as gift wrap into strips, or use a paper shredding machine to cut strips. Some machines will shred paper into tiny bits which can be used as confetti.
- Place the strips on... top of each other and then cut the strips into tiny squares. Colorful glittery paper makes the confetti that much more festive! That's all there is to it!
- If you are stuffing the confetti shooters ahead of time, you can secure the top and keep the confetti in place with some tissue paper and a rubber band.
07 of 07
Celebrate the New Year!
Now it is time for the fun to begin! Let 'er rip! Have the kids hold the shooters and start your New Year Eve countdown. 10, 9, 8 ..... Pull the balloon portion of the tube downward and then let the balloon go. You will have a glorious confetti stream shooting upwards! Such fun that the kids will want to do it again and again! Who cares about the mess! Happy New Years!