Nine different types of dried beans, plus barley, are combined to make a heart-warming great for gifts or to keep on hand. If you are giving as a gift, be sure to include the recipe instructions. This will make 9 gifts and each will make enough soup to feed 8.
- Pour navy beans, lima beans, black beans, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, garbanzo beans, split peas, pigeon peas, and barley into a very large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Line up 9 (1-pint) gift containers. Divide beans evenly amongst the containers, stirring the bowl often to keep beans well-distributed. Seal containers tightly and attach recipe instructions (below). Yield: 9 gift containers (about 2 cups each)
Nine Bean Soup Mix Recipe Instructions
1 package Nine Bean Soup Mix (above)
2 quarts water
1 turkey leg or ham bone and scraps or 1-1/2 pounds pork roast cut into 1-inch cubes
1 (28 ounces) can whole, peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
2 teaspoons salt, optional
1/4 cup small pasta, such as Digitali
- Soak beans overnight in water to cover. Drain well. Place beans in a large stockpot along with 2 quarts of fresh water and turkey, ham, or pork. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add tomatoes, onions, lemon juice, chili powder, thyme, and sage. Simmer an additional 30 minutes. Stir in pasta and salt. Cook an additional 15 minutes until pasta is done and beans are tender.
- If the is too thick, add broth or additional water. If using turkey leg or ham bone, remove from the pot, de-bone the meat, chop, and return to the soup. This freezes well.