It's hard to believe that this delicious layered cherry and cream dessert requires no cooking. But it's true -- the dessert assembly is a snap and all you have to do it chill it. Cherry pie filling tops a sweetened cream cheese layer with a buttery graham cracker crust.
The richness of the cream cheese combined with the tartness of the cherry pie filling, served up cold, is a tasty finale to a satisfying dinner on the deck or patio. Cherry pie filling labeled "Premium" is a good choice because it contains 30% more fruit. If you have fresh cherries, make a homemade cherry pie filling.
Replace the fresh whipped cream and powdered sugar with 2 cups of whipped Dream Whip topping if you'd like, or use thawed frozen whipped topping (e.g., Cool Whip).
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (see note)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter and press into an 8-by-8 inch pan or glass dish and chill.
- Beat the cream cheese until fluffy; add the powdered sugar and vanilla, then beat until smooth.
- Whip the cream and fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture onto the chilled crust and spread it evenly.
- Spoon the cherry pie filling evenly over the cream cheese layer.
- Cover the dessert with wax paper or plastic and put it in the freezer.
- Before it's entirely frozen, cut the dessert into squares and then return it to the freezer.
- Remove the dessert from the freezer about 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
Note: 7 graham cracker rectangles (14 of the smaller squares) yields 1 cup of fine crumbs.