This is an easy layered cherry dessert to make and perfect for summer weather because there's no cooking involved.
The richness of the cream cheese combined with the tartness of the cherry pie filling, served up cold, is a tasty finale to a dinner on the patio of grilled steaks, potatoes au gratin and fresh homegrown tomatoes.
Replace the fresh whipped cream and powdered sugar with 2 cups of whipped Dream Whip topping if you'd like.
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter and press into an 8-by-8 inch pan or glass dish and chill.
- Beat the cream cheese until fluffy; add the powdered sugar and vanilla, then beat until smooth.
- Whip the cream and fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the chilled graham cracker crust and spoon the cherry pie filling over all.
- Cover the dessert with wax paper and put it in the freezer.
- Before it's entirely frozen, cut the dessert into squares and then return it to the freezer.
- Remove the dessert in its dish or the individual squares from the freezer 25 to 30 minutes before serving.