Keep small amounts of this sauce in the freezer to warm up anytime. Enjoy this delicious sauce with cake, ice cream, or bread pudding. This old fashioned sauce is made with sugar, water, and cream. A little vanilla gives the sauce extra flavor.
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar turns a medium golden brown color, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Carefully and slowly add the cream and vanilla, using a long-handled wooden spoon to stir. Simmer until the caramel dissolves and blends into the cream, about 2 minutes.
- The sauce will be smooth slightly thickened. Serve warm or cool.
- Add a little more cream before serving if it's too thick.
You Might Also Like