This is an old-fashioned baked macaroni and cheese, made with cooked elbow macaroni, Cheddar cheese, milk, and an egg, along with a touch of cayenne pepper. Serve this tasty casserole as a main dish or side dish.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup soft fine bread crumbs*
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Boil macaroni in salted water, following package directions. Drain under running cold water.
- Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with a layer of macaroni, a layer of cheese, bits of butter, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Continue the layers until all ingredients are used, ending with a cheese layer.
- Whisk milk and egg together and pour over the top,
- In a bowl, combine the soft bread crumbs with the melted butter; toss to coat thoroughly.
- Cover the macaroni with buttered bread crumbs,
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the topping is browned and cooked through.
*Process 2 slices of bread in the food processor; toss with 2 tablespoons of butter.